Monday, June 25, 2007

Hair! The Moscow Musical

Ever since Denis Simachev grew that freaky Hare Krishna braid out of the back of his head, weird hair has become quite popular in Moscow. It didn't used to be like this. For a long time, I thought three people were tailing me: designer Vika Gazinskaya, PR girl Darya Chichkina and Danila Polyakov (Who's Danila Polyakov? Shhhh, not now). Every gallery opening I went to, every time I dropped into Five Star for a sandwich, they were there, smoking cigarettes, with their weird hair.

Eventually I realized they weren't following me at all, they just had weird hair, which made them stand out. True story. Now it's different. Even Yuliya Volkova (t.A.T.u) has a lez helmut.

She was at the 5th anniversary show of hairdressers Toni & Guy in Russia last week (first salon on Stoleshnikov Per., 2002), which gave us the "Future Classics" of the Moscow hair world.


Of course, there was no one more avant-garde than young men from the provinces circa 2002, who were going around Bic bald save a tuft of bangs. I simply can't find any photographic records of it anywhere -- history must have erased it.

Photos: elite.ru, 9linesmag.com, fashionista.ru

No comments: